It is very important to check for vitality of pulp before endodontic procedure. More accurate and reliable test has been developed in recent years.
Few newer methods are:
- 1. Laser Doppler Flowmetry (LDF) – It sends laser light to the tooth and transmitted beam is received by photodetector.
- 2. Pulp oximetry – It measures the pulse rate of blood in the tooth and show the result in screen.
- 3. Dual Wavelength spectrophotometry – This method measures the oxygen level in capillaries using light beam and provides the result on screen
- 4. Wedging and staining method – Methylene blue and Erythrosine dye.
New Techniques In Pulp Testing
- Transillumination with fiber-optic light
- Electromagnetic flowmetry
- Hughes probeye camera
- Measurement of temperature of tooth surface
- Gas desaturation
- Radiolabeled microspheres